Sunday, November 18, 2012

Mormon Helping Hands

This morning my entire Stake had a short 30 minute Sacrament meeting and then we got on buses and drove to Rockaway, NY.  I won't lie, I was nervous, I knew it was going to be really hard work and that it would be an extremely long day!  But you know what?  I LOVED IT!  I worked so hard and so long and for once was doing something for someone else!  When I got on the bus at the end of a long day the first thing I did was ask my bishop if we could come again next week!  Wow it's amazing how good it feels to serve others!


Here's the group I was assigned to!  I couldn't have asked for a better group!




Here's how you get your supplies to the different houses your helping, put it in the sled and pull!


We passed a Red Cross Truck and it was weird to me to see people getting supplies from the truck, I'm so used to being on the other side donating to causes like these, not actually seeing the fruits of those donations!


The devastation here is horrible and they need all the help they can get!  As we clean out homes we just stack everything outside for crews to pick up and throw out.  People are losing EVERTHING, it's heartbreaking.


This was in one of the homes we were helping at, it's one of the only walls that survived the flood waters.  That's definitely something to remember!





This is a view of their beach now

It's times like these that I can't help but take a moment to pause and thank God for everything I have and am blessed with.  Then after I thank God for what he's given me I need to get out and serve someone who wasn't as lucky as I was this time around!

This video was made exactly a week before I went here

1 comment:

Becca Bingham said...

Looks like you've had a little time on your hands! Fun to look at all these post while I am stranded! :)

My Loyal Followers