Sunday, March 14, 2010

Rain, rain go away!

Tonight there was a huge storm in the Northeast. It was crazy! Well my parents where flying into a small airport about a half an hour away and me and the kids were so excited to go get them. Until the day of the storm when it's raining and the wind is blowing like crazy! Then at about 5pm the power goes out... then we're not so excited! Well we get in the car and we start driving to the airport, problem is we can't get out of our neighborhood! The streets were dark from having lost power and several blocks down we see why, there's a power pole that is just hanging right above the road. Oh great! So we turn and start going down another street, but two seconds later we see trees and poles down in that street too... FREAKY! Remember that it's still raining and the wind is still blowing! Ok so this happens a couple more times before we finally get out on a main road, the only way I actually got to a main road is because of my gps and because it kept changing when I didn't follow it and kept making u-turns! I love my gps! So we get on the Merritt Parkway and drive for a couple minutes and then traffic stops, oh no how long is this going to take? Oh good we only sat there for like 10 mins. Plus I'm almost on empty so I better fill up on gas at the gas station that's on the Merritt. But driving past the gas station it's pitch dark...woops shouldn't have waited til the last moment on that one, maybe I'll get some gas after I pick up my parents. Then about two miles later traffic stops again and this time it doesn't move for more than an hour! That's right! I've got 3 kids who haven't had dinner yet stuck in traffic. They're hungry, thirsty, tired, and pretty soon they're going to realize they have to go to the bathroom! Plus, my gas light just turned on, I'm out of gas...how long am I going to sit here?! While we're sitting in traffic I get a text from my dad that the plane couldn't land in White Plains and that the pilot is going to try to land at Laguardia and if it can't it will go back to where their layover was in Philidelphia, oh no, I AM NOT DRIVING TO LAGUARDIA! I can't even get 5 minutes away from my house! (here's the only smile Connor could muster up after sitting in traffic for at least an hour, Caroline's back there drawing on the windows she's so bored)


finally traffic starts moving and we just booked it off the first exit we could! I needed to find gasoline and a bathroom pronto or there would be prices to pay! On one side of the parkway it was dark, the other side's businesses had light... we went that way! Finally we got gas and stopped at Burger King so that my poor STARVING children wouldn't die! See don't they just look so happy to be fed?






Well my parent's flight ended up landing in Laguardia. My parents then caught a bus from the airport to Grand Central and then at Grand Central they caught a train up to Connecticut. So after Burger King we headed to the train station, their train wouldn't be there for an hour, but I didn't want to try to get home and then have to put the kids back in the car so that I could go pick them up at 11:30pm, so we just went straight there and the kids slept in the car while I read. Finally my parents came in and after dropping them off at their hotel which had power I went home to my home that was dark and cold. But instead of taking 5 mins to get home it took me 25 mins looking for a way to get home. I almost even called Roz to see how she got home because every way I was going was blocked by trees and power poles! It was sooo insane! Tonight was an adventure, one that I don't need to re-live ever ever again! Pictures to come!

No comments:

My Loyal Followers